Saturday, November 5, 2011

Blog 9

http://changethis.com/manifesto/show/45.02.FreakFactor


I think that Rendell's suggestion “Fix It” is a very valid one. There is no reason why you should fix your own weaknesses. We all can't be good at everything. It makes us human. It makes us who we are. Our weaknesses define our personality. If we were all good at everything and had no weakness where is the fun in that? Competition would be boring. People watch sporting events saying they hope to see an even matched game/match. But that isn't true. That is far from the truth. People watch sports games/matches so they can watch whichever team/person they are rooting for destroy the opposition. If a Cleveland Browns fan watches his team obliterate the Pittsburgh Steelers he/she wouldn't complain that is wasn't a very competitive and close game. No, they would we celebrating and be ecstatic to see their team put on such a performance. It is also true that nobody likes working on their weaknesses. I will try to implement this idea into my Creative Life by letting me weaknesses show and not caring at all. I will let people exploit my weaknesses and in return I will let my strengths take over. If I get put in a group for a project I will make sure I don't get put in a position that corresponds to a weakness. I will make sure to get into a position that I like and I am good at. Everybody likes to excel at something. It makes us happy and installs in us self-esteem.

I believe Rendell's suggestion “Foundation” is a very valid one as well. We should build upon our strengths. That is the only way we can get better as a professional and as an individual. If we focus too long on fixing weaknesses we seem to forget about our strengths and let the pass us by. Having strengths and being good at something makes people more pleasant in general. I know that if I had a good game in football or basketball I become more happy and pleasant throughout the week. Also we should focus on strengths because those are the only areas where we can grow and reach our true potential. I have heard very few stories of people having a glaring weakness but then working on it and making it into their best strength. Strengths let people with natural abilities and god given talents shine. They allow people to realize what they are good. If you have an overwhelming and incredible strength then nobody will care about the corresponding weakness. I am gonna try to incorporate this into my life by just focusing on nothing but my strengths. If I don't like it and I am not good at it then why should I bother. It just will make my life miserable. I am going to try to maximize my talents to get better and better. Nobody gets to be extraordinary by having mediocre abilities. You have to utilize you strengths and continue to develop them all the time.

And also I think that Rendell's suggestion of “Fit In” is a valid one too. I really liked the Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer example that Rendell gave. I had always just sang the song with no meaning to it. It is a Christmas song so every holiday season I would hear it and sing the words with no true care for the actual meaning it possesses. You have to find a place to fit in. Whether it is in school, at your job, or just in society in general you have to find your own place in it. Why would you want to be around a group of people who only focus on your weaknesses and make you look bad? Why would you want to be at a job that shows how bad you are at it? Simple, you don't. If you can find the right friends and right environment then you can really become happy and begin to focus on your skill set. For me I think it is all about finding the right situation. I know my weaknesses and I know that I just have to wait for the right time to come when they become strengths. Until that time I will continue to utilize my strengths as much as possible. I wouldn't suggest looking for a situation where your weaknesses can excel. I would say look for a situation where you don't have a weakness and just a strength. That is when you will find how much of a difference you can really make.

I have found numerous strengths and weaknesses that I have in the creative process. I know for one that a weakness is that I am not the type of person who likes to be organized. I try sometimes to organize things but it just isn't who I am. I like being messy. I think a strength would have to be how I like to write. But it can't be about something boring. It has to be something that intrigues me and gives me a lot of opinions to express in my writing. I can be very creative most of the time. I really am surprised at the things I find myself coming up with. I like to incorporate things in my past into the things I write about because it makes it a lot more personal and allows the reader to understand where I am coming from as a writer. It sort of brings them to my point of view. Another weakness I would have to say I have is that I tend to procrastinate things a lot. This makes things much more harder for me. But a strength for procrastinating could be is that I tend to do my best work when my back is against the wall. This is a very good strength to have. This means that when I am put in a tough spot I almost always seem to not only find my way out but do so in record time. I excel when the going gets tough and others get going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment